Sunday, March 25, 2007

Random stuff...


The B-52s

Lately i've had some strange stuff stuck in my head, so I thought I'd share.

First up, Rock Lobster, by a fledgling B-52s. Awesome psychobilly new wave surf rock from 1978. Listen out for the bit about the matching towels and the noise the narwal makes. This was long before they appeared in The Flintstones: The Movie as the BC-52s or collaborated with R.E. fucking M. on Shiny Happy People.



Mp3:
The B-52s - 'Rock Lobster'.
Buy it.


Slim Whitman

Next, for some reason I've been singing this a lot. Dunno why because I haven't even heard it for a while. It's used on the soundtrack for Rob Zombie's 'House of 1000 Corpses' and it's got some pretty tasteful yodelling in it.

Mp3:
Slim Whitman - 'I Remember You'.
Buy it.


The Shipping Forecast

And finally, I've taken to listening to Radio 4 to go to sleep and for some reason it always tends to be exactly when the night-time shipping forecast is starting (about 12:45am in case you're interested). It's relaxing on so many levels. The soothing voice of the BBC presenter reading a coded list of conditions at sea that I don't have to deal with as I'm tucked up in my squishy cocoon. The nostalgic associations from my parents listening to in the mornings and my dad telling me what it all means. And last but not least the incredibly kitsch light classical music which ushers it in, which can't have changed in 30 years. After some considerable hunting I found it. Hope you find it as comforting as I do.

Mp3:
Ronald Binge (great name) - 'Sailing By'

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home