Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Fast and bulbous...



I recently started exploring Captain Beefheart in a bigger way than I had previously thought necessary. I'd been sat down and made to listen carefully to career defining 'Troutmask Replica' in its entirety a few years back. It scared me. Obviously it was quite an achievement, but what a headfuck.

Anyway I heard the Beefheart album 'Clear Spot' the other day at work and really enjoyed it. It comes a little after 'Troutmask...' in the period when Beefheart was veering a touch closer to the middle of the road in his ramshackle backfiring psychedelic dune buggy. The song that really got me was 'Her Eyes Are A Blue Million Miles' which must be one of his most pretty moments. You might recognise it from the Big Lebowski soundtrack.

Mp3:
Captain Beefheart and His Magic Band - 'Her Eyes Are A Blue Million Miles'
Buy 'Clear Spot/The Sunshine Kid' here.

I also found a great old BBC documentary about him called 'The Artist Formerly Known As Captain Beefheart' which someone has kindly put up on Google Video. It's narrated by John Peel and hearing his voice instantly filled me with a cosy nostalgia.

Part 1:



Part 2:



Part 3:

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home