Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Funeral Song



I think I've already made it known to those closest to me that I want 'Life On Mars' by David Bowie played at my funeral. But I just want to set it in stone. It brings me close to tears on it's own ayway so if the buggers aren't crying at the beginning...

The song is really touching, yet so pompous that it would be quite funny, and so grandiose that I always want to stand up and applaud at the end. If the congregation want to follow suit I'd be more than happy to believe they're actually honouring me.

It's so interlinked with my memories from childhood that it's an obvious choice really. It's been a presence at various poignant moments during my timid existence so it only seems fitting that it should show me out the door. Plus people often say that my dad and I look like Bowie...

Other possible choices have included:

'Gloomy Sunday' - Billie Holiday (it'd just be cruel)
'I Wanna Go Where the People Go' - The Wildhearts (when I was 16, if only for the line "I wanna be where the cunts like me are buried six feet underground")
'Green Grass' - Tom Waits (I haven't known it for long enough and I think it might have been bagsied already. Boyg?)

So which musical gem do YOUUUUU want as the credits roll?

Mp3:
David Bowie - 'Life On Mars'

Buy it here

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're right, Green Grass is the song I want played as the eath is shovelled in, and the crows circle overhead in the torrential rain. I'd quite like it to be a torchlit sort of affair, with creaking iron gates swinging in the wind. Funny that I was never a goth. Can you post Green Grass in case people don't know it?
And do you want a recording of Bowie, or people you know to do it live? Or do you want Bowie himself to show up and steal your thunder?

2:58 pm  
Blogger Alex Raoul said...

Only Thor himself might steal my thunder. I'm kind of hoping Bowie will die before my time comes. He might be from space but that don't make him immortal. No, the version on Hunky Dory should suffice.

I may well post Green Grass, Boyg. I may well...


...Boyg.

3:06 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

for the sheer perversity of it i've always wanted "I Will Survive". preferably at the end of it so people hear it as they're going on now, going, and walking out the door.

life on mars is better though. you'll make everyone cry. though probably a lot of them will already be crying...

12:01 am  
Blogger Alex Raoul said...

Lets hope so, I wanna see some suffering when I snuff it. Proper theatrical sorrow.

And this one's for you:

"First I was afraid
I was petrified
Kept thinking I could never live
without you by my side..."

11:05 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't think Thor could really steal your thunder, since it's all sort of his to begin with. In the same way all the swans belong to the queen.
I bet Thor could steal the queen's swans.

11:17 pm  
Blogger Alex Raoul said...

He could at least give them a nasty fright. Swans don't like thunder you see. They don't like it one bit.

12:34 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home